Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Looking Forward, Looking Back

I have always been a huge fan of decorating a room with loads and loads of pictures.  My freshman year of college, I literally covered my armoire (aka my janky standalone closet) doors with photos.  As much as I love to live in the moment and get excited about present activities, I love having all of my memories around me.  No shame, I still get homesick, and having pictures around me makes me feel safe and loved.  There is no telling what I would do if I could cover my walls in pictures and mementos!

No wonder I was so excited when I read this article  from Stylist Home.  Apparently, nostalgia is good for both you and your home.  Pictures and mementos remind us of who we are and who we want to be, despite the everyday pressures of jobs, families and more.  That brief moment where you lose yourself in a picture from Thanksgiving 1999 is one of the best feelings in the whole wide world, honestly.

Instead of cleaning my room, I often find myself adjusting photos and cards and deciding what gets the spotlight during a particular moment in my life.  Here are a few examples:

Puppies.  My grandma.  And a vase full of wine and champagne corks from fun nights. 
Collage on my wall by my bed.  Sweet notes and sweeter faces.
A repurposed china cabinet topped with an Eiffel Tower 'borrowed' from a fraternity, as well as a UCLA globe and a sorority wreath.   Precious (and ridiculous) memories.
Close up.  Boy I love how good it feels to look around my room.




How do your incorporate nostalgia into you living spaces?

1 comment:

  1. Well, my wife and daughters and I are currently having to live about 10,000 miles apart, so as you can guess my room in the sharehouse contains a hell of a lot of pictures of two little munchkins and their mommy smiling at the camera. Every morning when I go to work thinking "why the Hell am I doing this to myself" I can be reminded "oh yeah... that's why I'm doing it".

    ReplyDelete